Thursday, May 24, 2007

Getting out of A ball

Wish I had something interesting today or another lesson learned. But it was pretty much a nothing day. Modesto was clobbered 11-4. The broadcast wasn't fantastic. Wasn't bad. Felt it was solid. Confessed my "no doubt about it" from last night on the air. A few technical problems early in the broadcast were irritating, but it was just one of those days.

Now that I think about it, this was actually another day that makes me glad to no longer be a newspaper reporter. Watching, or broadcasting, a stinker of a game like that is one thing. But as a writer, you still need to craft out two stories that are compelling to readers. Sometimes it's about trends or what's wrong with a pitcher, and there's storylines available. Other days, it's just one of those days, and those are the hardest game stories to write.

One thing did get me thinking. In my daily chat with manager Jerry Weinstein, for the pregame show, we talked a lot about the hardest jumps to make in the minors. Jerry felt the jump from Single-A to Double-A is the hardest, outside of the jump to the majors. Double-A is considered the stud league. Only real prospects are in Double-A. Most players don't make it out of A-ball.

Makes me wonder if the same applies to broadcasters.

No comments: