Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A day in the life of the majors

Shortly after sending out "A day in the life in the minors" -- it was originally a mass email to my friends and family -- my friend David Feldman responded with his own slice-of-day posting about life in the majors. Feldman is the associate producer for A's baseball on KICU-TV. Here it is:

On Monday I arrived at the A's charter flight to Boston, and was quickly greeted by a Airline worker who took my bag to be loaded on the plane. After a very quick security check, boarded the tricked out 757 with nothing but first class seats and was offered a cold beverage by a very cute flight attendant. On my way to my own row, I picked up a very tasty breakfast sandwich and a candy bar for later.

Twenty minutes after take off (none of that tray tables up, or electronics off) I was offered my choice of lunch: Chicken Cordon Blue, Beef tips, or a cheese burger. I ordered off the menu and had a very nice peanut butter and jelly sandwich. After arriving in Boston, we were bussed directly to our 5-Star Sheraton hotel and picked up my room key which was waiting for me on a table, along with snacks and beverages.

I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Legal Seafoods, including a tremendous bottle of wine. When I returned to my private room my luggage was waiting for me. Today, I watched an amazing game from one of the most storied ballparks in baseball history and capped the night off with a night of bowling.

And of course, everything will be paid for by someone other than me. (Editor's note: ahhh, I remember the good ol' days of an expense account.)

Now I just have to ask if I can shag balls.


My first reaction: okay, even if I'm not on the team charter, why did I give up that life again?

My second reacton: oh yeah, because this is still more fun, and I'm following my dream.

No comments: