Saturday, September 8, 2007

Moving at the speed of light

It's amazing how much faster a game goes by when you're doing the play by play, especially when it's new. The first few baseball games I did felt like they were flying by. But last night's football game -- my first live on the radio, and my first period since college in 1996 -- felt like it was going a thousand miles an hour.

It didn't help that both teams have complex offenses, with receivers and running backs shifting all over the place before each play, shotgun formations, constantly rotating players, and a hurry-up style of offense.

It slowed down later in the game. At least, I felt like I was slowing down later in the game, and I think the actual pace slowed down as well. It was fun, but oh man, was it intense. I enjoyed the intensity. That's a style you can't bring to a baseball game until the final inning or two, and even then, you have to be mindful of baseball's natural rhythm.

The feedback I was given was positive. In my heart, I know I can do much better. I'm curious to see what I can do with a week to prepare. The hardest part was spotting the number of the player quickly. The press box wasn't very high and when the parents stood up, I couldn't see everything.

Identifying the player with the ball is rather important, don't ya think? Then instantly knowing his name is important too, huh? Having to check his name on a roster -- as I did far too many times -- has the recipe for disaster.

The highlights of the game can be viewed here -- http://videos.modbee.com/vmix_hosted_apps/video/1507148

I thought the biggest plays of the game, especially the 90-yard touchdown run, were my best calls of the game. So I happy with that. But I need to identify the ball carrier or wide receiver quicker.

No comments: