Friday, January 22, 2016

Expanded protective netting at Isotopes Park


A news crew from KRQE-TV was at Isotopes Park yesterday to do a story on the expanded protective netting upcoming for the 2016 season.

Here's a link to the story: http://krqe.com/2016/01/21/isotopes-plan-to-expand-nets-for-fan-safety/

I realize that some people will be disappointed because part of the fun of coming to a baseball game is getting a foul ball. However, I'm thrilled to see this happen. Any time I see a checked swing, and the ball goes screaming into the stands, I hold my breathe that nobody gets seriously injured.

Throughout the majors and minors, it seems like we're seeing and hearing more stories about fans getting seriously injured. This is a rising concern because the trend for new ballparks throughout the last 20 years has been intimacy, and getting closer to the action. There's less time for fans to react to those foul balls and that's if you're paying attention. Between food, smart phones and many other factors, it's easy to get distracted at the ballpark.

This might be jarring to fans who are not accustomed to watching the game through netting. But I do believe this will become the new normal sooner than you think. I doubt hardly anybody who sits behind home plate is distracted by the netting. So if you're sitting above the dugout, you'll get accustomed to it quickly.

I remember going to Taiwan with the Dodgers for exhibition games in 2010. I was surprised that protective netting was not just behind home plate, but extended all the way down the foul lines. There was simply no foul ball souvenirs as a result. But that's the way it's been for a long time in Japan and Taiwan. It's their normal. I don't know if the United States will ever get that stringent with protective screens, but I fully support the new initiative.

Overwhelmingly, I can tell you that players agree. Whenever I glance at the player's passlist, it's extremely common to see them write something like "behind protective screen please" next to their family members' names. I've known players who had nightmares after hitting a foul ball into the stands that hurt somebody. For the especially gruesome injuries, I don't know if that image ever leaves their mind.

The Isotopes are following the recommendations the majors and minors have outlined. They'll work with the city of Albuquerque (the team leases the stadium) for the installation. It will take awhile to get used to seeing the expanded netting. But safety comes first, and I'm glad we're doing it.

No comments: