Friday, June 13, 2008

An update ... long overdue

Well, let's see, it's been about eight months since I posted anything on this blog. I figure nobody is really reading it anymore. But just in case you stumbled upon it, here's how the story ended.

I got out of the minors.

I got called back up to the big leagues.

Not doing exactly what I want to do, but the opportunity was too good to pass up. I'm a reporter/talk-show host for KABC-AM in Los Angeles, the flagship radio station for the LA Dodgers. I do segments on the pre- and post-game shows, I co-host PostGame DodgerTalk after every game, I do some radio reports, and I do the Coca-Cola Trivia Quiz in the middle of all games at Dodger Stadium.

It's not play-by-play announcing. But it's back in the majors, and it's hard to turn down an opportunity to live in Los Angeles, and work in the No.2 market in the country. Whether this job proves to be a dead end, or the next step in doing what I really want to do, remains to be seen. If nothing else, I'm living in a fabulous city and my social life is way better.



This offseason, I looked around at the opportunities that existed for minor league PBP announcers to reach the majors. There was two openings, and both were filled by guys with big league experience. In my one year, I saw how many extremely talented broadcasters were in the minors -- most have been there a REALLY long time -- and started to wonder if I was going to be stuck in the minors for a decade or two.

Factor in a raise from what I was making as a newspaper reporter, and a massive raise from what I was making in the minors, and hopefully you'll agree I made the right decision.

Who knows, maybe I'll turn the earlier posts on this blog into a book. Or maybe it's a manual for a kid trying to get into broadcasting. It's not easy. I'm lucky, very lucky, to be back in the majors.

And here's the irony: the reason why I got this job was the 10 years as a newspaper reporter, the seven years as a baseball beat reporter, and the five months as a talk-show host. The good people at KABC never heard one inning of my PBP.

The end ... for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so whats it like working for the bums...you traitor....just kidding

ive heard you (as i live in la) pretty good stuff

since no one reads this blog, maybe you can post about how big a dick rick monday is, cuz its apparent steiner hates being in the booth with him

Unknown said...

congrats on the big gig, Soooshhhh.. tell the managers to wear a jersey so we can see the gut.....:)




all the best,

vinnie b

v i n n i e b 4 2 5 @ y a h o o.