Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Excuse the shameless plug ... more press about me

Nuts' Suchon savors broadcasting
Successful sportswriter would rather call the action like a fan
By Mark Shugar / MLB.com

MODESTO, Calif. -- With one out in the bottom of the 10th, the Modesto Nuts had strategically worked runners into scoring position against the Stockton Ports, allowing outfielder Travis Becktel to step to the plate with the chance to drive in a game-winner for Modesto.

That's when things got a bit, well, nuts. And up in the press box, Modesto radio broadcaster
Josh Suchon had the call.

"The pitch gets away from the catcher. Here comes [Nuts outfielder Justin] Nelson to the plate. He's safe! The Modesto Nuts have won the ballgame, 9-8, on an errant intentional walk pitch!
"You've got to be kidding me! Now I've seen it all."

** The entire story can be viewed at this link **
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070719&content_id=277144&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

I think it will always be weird when I read a story about myself, since I'm so used to writing stories about other people. Must admit, like many athletes, I was a little worried the reporter would mis-quote me or take something out of context. Power to the digital recorder. The writer made me look good ... which ain't easy.

No comments: